Applying for a new job is rarely easy, and if your experiences have been you have been extremely lucky.
Quite often the application process will go no further than a strategically written Cover Letter and an impeccable CV; you might not even receive a rejection email. So when you finally get that coveted interview, you get really excited! Many people will say once you have the interview it is all plain sailing from there.
However, this is not always true. Especially if you lack the experience that other candidates have. So what can you do to make yourself stand out from the crowd?
When a potential employer asks you at the end if you have any questions for them, never say no, and NEVER say you know everything about the company already! Employers want to know you have passion, drive and curiosity for the job you are applying for, so here are a few questions that you can ask that will help you out along the way:
- What experience or skills are you looking for in the ideal candidate? There may be something that you have not yet thought to mention that is exactly what your future boss would love to know you have done before.
- What experience or skills will I gain from working here? It shows you are thirsting for knowledge, that you are aware you do not know everything and that you are humble.
- Where do you hope to see this position evolve to in 3 years time? Here you are suggesting a loyalty to the company, and also the ambition to develop and succeed.
- Are there any problems or improvements to be made within the department that you think I might be able to help with? Showing a willingness and eagerness to be a part of the team and to bring something to the table to help the company develop and grow will subconsciously encourage the employer to envisage you as a part of the team already.
- How did you come to be working here and what is your favourite part of the job? This allows the interviewer to connect with you on a personal level and also gives you an insight into whether the employees for the company actually do enjoy their jobs.
Finally, always remember to ask what comes next? That way, you will know roughly how long you will be waiting to hear, and they may also give you an insight as to the amount of competition you face!
For more help and advice about landing yourself the job you will love, GSR2R are a nationwide rec-to-rec company with over a decade of successful recruitment experience.